bungalows for sale in Streetsville, Buyer, Curb appeal, Detached homes for sale in Streetsville, Gloria Valvasori, homes for sale in Streetsville, Streetsville Ontario, Streetsville properties, streetsville real estate, streetsville real estate agent, townhmes in streetsville
We all know and recognize that saving energy is cost-effective, but you may not recognize how inefficient your home really is until you conduct an energy audit. You can spot many problems in your home with a simple walk-through. Keep a checklist of areas you inspect and any problems or issues you find. This will help you prioritize your energy efficiency upgrades.
Energy expended by lighting accounts for about 10% of your hydro bill. Check the wattage of the light bulbs in your home. You can exchange 100 watt bulbs and in most cases use a 60 or 75 watt bulb. Compact Fluorescent lamps for higher uses area are also recommended.
If insulation levels are less than the recommended minimum, heat loss through the ceiling and walls in your home could be high. You likely have the insulation level in your home from the builder that was recommended at the time your home was built. This level might be inadequate by today’s standards and should be upgraded, especially if you have an older home.
- Check the attic hatch to ensure it has the same level of insulation as the attic, and ensure is it closes tightly
- In the attic check to ensure ductwork and chimneys are sealed and seal any gaps with expanding foal or other permanent sealant.
- Check that vapor barriers are in place beneath the insulation.
- Ensure any vents are clear and not blocked by insulation.
- Check for indoor air leaks along baseboards, junctures of the walls and ceiling, or the edge of flooring
- Make a list of any obvious drafts. The saving from reducing drafts could range from % – 30% at year, depending on the severity of the drafts or leaks you find.
- Check to see if air can flow through these places: electrical outlets, switch plates, window frames, baseboards, weather stripping around doors, fireplace dampers, attic hatches and wall or window mounted air conditioners, gaps around pipes and wires, foundation seals and mail slots.
- Check windows and doors for air leaks. Try rattling the, as movement means possible air leaks. If you see daylight around a door or window frame, then it leaks. Seal these leaks by caulking or weather stripping. New, high efficiency windows and doors should be considered.
Heating and Cooling Equipment
Having your heating and cooling systems inspected and cleaned annually to maintain their efficiency. If you have a forced air furnace, ensure you replace the filters on a regular basis, at least every 2-3 months, especially during period of higher usage.
You should consider replacing your heating and/or cooling system with a newer higher efficient units, if they are more than 15 years old. A new unit would greatly reduce your energy consumption.
Inspect areas where two different building materials meet, i.e. all exterior corners, where siding and chimney meet, areas where the foundation and bottom of exterior brick or siding meet. Check the caulking around exterior doors and windows and check whether the exterior storm door and primary door seal tightly. Look for any cracks in the mortar, foundation and siding and seal with appropriate material.
I recently had a Home Energy Audit conducted on my home and it is so surprising to see places where energy is lost.. Luckily for me I only had two very minor areas to deal with that were a quick fix… but it is well worth the investment to have it done, as the end result could save you money long term.
I live and work in STREETSVILLE and have a vested interest in property values here. Are you considering buying or selling or know anyone who is? Give me a call for a complimentary evaluation of your home in this changing market. (416) 717-6331.
When you choose me to handle your real estate needs, you are choosing a real estate professional who cares about you and your family, and who will listen to your needs, work together with you, and protecting your intersts to achieve your objectives.
Your STREETSVILLE Real Estate Agent
Experience, Service and Integrity in Every Real Estate Transaction
I am the proud recipient of the Quality Service Certified Platinum award for outstanding serivce to my clients – a rating of 100%