bungalows for sale in Streetsville, buyers, Curb appeal, Detached homes for sale in Streetsville, experienced agent, Gloria Valvasori, homes for sale in Streetsville, Mississauga, Streetsville Ontario, Streetsville properties, streetsville real estate agent, townhomes for sale in streetsville, Winterize your home
Its that time of year again… time to start thinking about preparing your home for winter if you haven’t already done so. Your home will require maintenance as temperatures begin to drop to keep it in shape through the winter months.
Here are a few things you might want to consider checking before the winter sets in…
1. Roof, Eaves and Downspouts
- Clean out the eaves of all debris and hose it down to remove all little bits
- Check the flashing on the rood to ensure there is no entry for water to get in
- Check the shingles for wear. Replace any worn shingles
- Ensure downspouts are directed away from the home to prevent leakage into the basement.
2. Inspect Door and Windows
- If you have a basement that has window wells, cover with plastic for extra protection from the elements
- Replace any cracked or broken glass.
- If required, prime and pain exposed wood.
- Check weather stripping around exterior door, and replace if necessary
- Check windows for any air leaks and caulk if necessary
- Check the exterior of the house for mortar cracks and seal
- Drain gas from lawnmower before storing away
- Buy bags of salt/sand
- Check your snow shovel to ensure it is in good condition
- Ensure snow blower is functioning service, tuned and ready to go.
- Clear off deck of summer furniture, clean and store away
- Drain all garden hoses
- Shut off valve to all exterior faucets .. Keep faucet open and allow all water to drain
- Insulate any exposed plumbing and AC pipes
- Leave furnace on while away to a reasonable temperate to prevent damage to pipes
3. Foundation and Fireplace
- Ensure chimney is capped to prevent rodents and birds from entering
- Check the damper to ensure proper opening and closing
- Have chimney cleaned by a professional chimney sweep to remove creosote
- Store wood in a dry place
- Have extra furnace filters on hand and remember to change monthly
- Have your furnace inspected and serviced by a professional
- If your furnace is in a separate room, ensure the door is vented for proper ventilation
- Check for any cracks in the fireplace bed
4. Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Check your city by-law to ensure you have the proper number of smoke detectors. Some require one on every floor
- Install carbon monoxide detectors where needed (ask a professional) and ensure they are working properly
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Have it checked regularly and if older than 10 years, replace
- Keep an extra supply of batteries
- Consult with a gardener or arborist to determine when trees should be pruned.
- Trim branches that hang too close to electrical wires or the house
- Now is the time to plant those flower bulbs , and remove any bulbs that cannot tolerate winter in areas where it freezes
6. Prepare for an Emergency
- Prepare an evacuation plan
- Have emergency numbers close to the telephone
- Store extra bottled water and perishable food supplied, blanket and a first aid kit. Don’t forget to include pet food!
I’m sure I haven’t covered everything, but this is a guideline to get started…
I live and work in STREETSVILLE and have a vested interest in property values here. Are you considering buying or selling or know anyone who is? Give me a call for a complimentary evaluation/assessment of your home in this changing market. (416) 717-6331.
When you choose me to handle your real estate needs, you are choosing a real estate professional who:
- cares about you and your family
- will listen to your needs
- work together with you, and
- protect your interests to achieve your objectives
Your STREETSVILLE Real Estate Agent
Experience, Service and Integrity in Every Real Estate Transaction
I am the proud recipient of the Quality Service Certified Platinum award for outstanding service to my clients – a rating of 100%
I live and work in STREETSVILLE. If you are considering selling or buying real estate, or know someone who is, please give me a call. I love referrals! (416) 717-6331
Your STREETSVILE Real Estaste Agent – Dedicated to provding outstanding service one would expect and deserve from a real estate professional.